Wednesday, December 25, 2002

Merry Christmas!

I was always sad because I felt that we had no traditions in my family. I always wanted a traditional family, both in who/how we were, and where we had certain practices that we followed ever single year. Well, we were never traditional in how our family was put together, never resembling the classic nuclear family, but we did have a number of little traditions.
My older cousin and I used to clean out her closet, and sleep in it every christmas eve. The closet was 2x5 I think. We were so cramped! Whenever we woke up, usually around 3 am, LOL, we would grab our stockings and run back to our room to open them. We would usually end up eating about half the freaking candy and falling back to sleep. I had the same stocking that I use every year, handmade from a family friend. My mom had a matching one. I still have it. On christmas eve, after dinner, and after my cousin and I had done the dishes, we were allowed to pick out one present from under the tree. Then our moms would go get a present out of their rooms for us to open. Every year they gave us pajamas on christmas eve. Usually matching ones that were a different color. LOL Christmas morning my cousin and I would pass out all the presents, after everything was opened, we'd get dressed and have breakfast.

Our traditions weren't much, but they were there. And it wasn't until this year that I realized, we had had our last family christmas. I mean, we try, but I always go into work, my mom and brother live out of state, and my older cousin moved to a new house. I got my mom a pair of pajamas this year. I opened the presents that she left at my house for me. In one of the boxes, was a matching pair of pajamas! Lol. We picked out the same ones for each other.

No comments: